Saturday, May 27, 2017

Cuban Rolled Nicaragua Cigars

We are on day 6 of our trip and have visited 4 cities in this country. We started in Managua where we visited Matagalpa. Matagalpa gave us an idea of what poverty looks like in Nicaragua compared to where we were staying in Managua. I was actually standing in the middle of a shantytown, with broken homes and neglected infrastructure. There were steep muddy hills that children and the elderly had to climb daily to reach there homes. The most nerve wrecking were the homes that were literally at the edge of a cliff. All I could think was- it's a long way down should someone slip and fall. Despite my description, it was not a terrible experience. The people of Matagalpa were full of spirit. To them, this was merely home. I saw children in school uniform, which was a good sign that they have access to education, dozens of chickens indicating access to food, Guanaba trees and even a couple of baby pigs.

After Matagalpa- we moved our things to Hotel Colonial in Granada. WHAT A DAY!(the fellows and Dr. Sama know exactly what I mean through my expression). I liked the city of Granada, but it was full of tourist giving the town an artificial flavor since I was so enamored by the authenticity of the previous towns. At least I got to purchase my Cuban rolled Nicaraguan Cigars. 

But how could I forget the MAGNIFICENT view of Caterina. For Goodness sake! It was breathtaking. We were aimlessly walking through the market and all of a sudden, we turned the corner and VOILA- there was Laguna de Apoyo in the middle of Volcano Mamabacho and the city of Granada. It's something you have to see for yourself to believe.

Now we are in San Juan Del Sur...


No comments:

Post a Comment